Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Debrief

Meditate on the events of quarter one. How did you do in this class? What did you learn? Which of your academic skills improved? Where are you still struggling? How is the class environment? What can you do to further strengthen the learning community in our classroom? What are your goals for Q2? Basically, how did things go for you and what can you do to improve or to make things more successful for yourself and others?

I’m quite pleased with the outcome of first quarter in terms of my grade. I learned a lot about analysis of movies and photographs. I never really thought about how people actually take the time to plan those things and give movies a different affect. I’ve seen movies before with the different angles and shadows, but now I know what the directors are trying to portray with their techniques and recognize them. Also, my academic skills have improved when it comes to essay writing; I think I understand the structure of an essay very well. Going into my freshman year I felt like I knew absolutely nothing about writing essays so the very first five-paragraph essay was a large blow and then at the end of the year I thought I knew exactly how to write a good essay. Unfortunately, I was wrong and I was not as good as I thought. Although I didn’t do terribly on our essay for quarter one, I still do not exactly understand how to form a strong thesis. I understand how to find themes, but putting them together is something that I struggle with. I think I have a better grasp on the concept now that we have practiced it, but I would like to get a lot better. Lastly, I like our class environment, it is a fun atmosphere but at the same time most of us know when it is time to work and not play so much. We all probably could become more successful in the class if everyone came to school prepared, for instance that one day during first quarter when almost half the class didn’t do their homework, it was really hard for us to work efficiently because few students had done the homework. I’m a little nervous for our large research paper coming up, because I tend to become repetitive when I’m trying to reach a page limit, but I’m hoping for the best!

2 comments:

Mackenzie R. said...

Amanda
I agree with you when you say that you have learned how to write five paragraph essays! Though I still struggle with getting good grades on them, I believe that I have also improved in that area of academics. I am also having trouble with creating thesis statements! I have the same problem, I can seem to mash everything together in one to two sentances, without being to brief.

Ms. Froehlich said...

Creating a solid thesis statement is tough skill to master. We still have 3 more quarters in which to achieve your goal! I agree that our 2nd hour has a positive feel and we've had many interesting class discussions.